Manor House, Islip - from farmhouse to home
We are delighted to have received planning and listed building consent for alterations to Manor House, Islip for alterations which will convert this working house into a contemporary family home.
Manor House Islip, is one of the oldest working houses in Islip. It is unusual, as the house was originally a farmhouse and never had a rear aspect. The farmhouse plot was split in half for development in 1969, the barn next door, Appleyard, was converted into a dwelling and sold separately. Alterations to Manor House were carried out poorly, new rear windows were installed at different heights below concrete lintels. Damage was caused to existing stonework by carrying out inappropriate repairs with a hard render spoiling the appearance of the back of the house.
Planning and listed building consent has been granted to unpick these unsightly alterations to the rear. At the same time additional dormers are to be provided in the roof space so that the attic can be converted for bedroom accommodation. At first floor, the removal of modern partitions will create a generous master bedroom suite. On the ground floor, later partitions will be removed to restore the symmetry of the central sitting room and adjust the bay window so that the utility can be used as a breakfast room. The construction of a new garden room to the rear will provide aspect out onto the garden.
Islip Mill was established in the 11th century and was a key part of the economy throughout the next century. To the south side of Mill Street, the 1876 OS plans shows terraced mill workers cottages with gardens overlooking the Mill Stream. To the north the properties are noticeably different constructed during the period of growth at the end of the 17th Century. These properties take the form of large dwellings or farmhouses on sizeable plots with outbuildings surrounded by courtyards – these were designed to make the most of the rising topography and limited south daylight.
Manor House is first shown on the 1808 Enclosure Map and is described as a Messuage – a building with land and outbuildings and owned by Andrew Andrews. By 1876, the OS plan shows a prominent and affluent Victorian Manor House. A wash house, coal shed, and a new external toilet constructed. The rear range has been taken down to make space for a new Kitchen. In Victorian style, the rear of the property shows a delineation between the domestic and working part of the house. The street frontage is clearly shown - the house set back from the road behind cast iron railings. Whilst the early 18th Century footprint included the far east bay, a first floor was added in the 19th Century. For many years this became a general store that sold everything. In 1958, the plot is split, and ‘Appleyard’ to the west sold as a separate dwelling.
james mackintosh architects limited
First Floor, 21 The High Street,
Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire
01608 692 310 / 07880 727 150