We are delighted to have secured listed building consent for alterations to Grade II* listed No. 20 High Street, Chipping Norton, to provide staff facilities at ground floor and convert first and second floors into two high end apartments.
The proposal involves the conversion of the redundant first and second floor into a high end residential apartments retaining and revealing historic features, improving on a previous scheme dated 2016. The scheme provides an additional 8.5qm of floor space within the attic - enough to make the floors lettable as two separate apartments. The scheme was resolved collaboratively through consultation with the Local Authority, Historic England and our client Jeremy Catling which was the key in gaining consent. These alterations now pave the way for letting the ground floor unit as a priority, and future plans at first and second floor which will help fund repairs required.
The building dates back to 1390 when it was most likely a merchants house with an undercroft below. Whilst the undercroft remains in the basement most of the building fabric from ground to second floor is 18th Century. In the 18th Century the building was a Butchers Shop before becoming the Bear Inn in 1797. For a very short period between 1915 to 1931 the first floor was used as a surgery. However, since the mid-19th Century the ground floor has always been used as a shop.